From the Hidden Villa newsletter (February 2011).
Got a bad case of the winter doldrums? Reinvigorate your diet with the fresh raw vegetables and citrus in this bright, easy-to-make slaw that is packed with color, crunch and vitamins.
|1 medium head of red or green cabbage
2 large carrots
1 medium beet
2 white grapefruit, rind and pith removed
1 lime, juiced
|1 clove garlic
1/4 c minced fresh cilantro
1/4 c olive oil
3 T balsamic vinegar
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Halve and core the cabbage and then very finely slice ribbons to create the ideal texture.
- Crush the garlic and marinate in the juice of the lime and the vinegar. Set aside.
- Coarsely grate the carrots and beet.
- Carve the grapefruit into 1/2 inch chunks or segments.
- Combine all vegetables and grapefruit in a large bowl with cilantro, oil, lime vinegar, and salt to taste.
- Toss and serve topped with ground pepper.